Click the PIC for ALL AUTHOR INTERVIEWS

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Back to My Writing Desk

All through the month of November, I participated in National Novel Writing Month, or "NaNoWriMo" as it's called on the street. I did pretty well. I didn't quite meet my goal but I wrote every day and I have thousands of words down. Most of the words will probably never see the light of day because I'm not very proud of them.
However, the exercise wasn't a complete waste because I learned how to develop my style, find my voice and nurture a story--even through muddy waters.
The month of December was a blur. I worked at a retail store, wrapping presents for other people and selling blenders.
The family was busy doing holiday traditions and eating sweets and enjoying each others company so not much writing or inspiration.
I worked on my story *some* during the month of January but mostly, I explored other avenues of creativity.
I told my husband that writing is a little ambiguous as an art form. You never really get the satisfaction of having a finished work of art after many hours of labor. You spend a lot of time staring out the window or the screen--words whirling around in your brain that never quite find their way into the story.
Often times, at the end of a writing session, I'll read back over what I have written and that cruel editor voice in my head, stamps her foot and yells, "This is CRAP! I wouldn't read this to my dog!"

So here I am, mid February. I have just gotten back from a family vacation to the beach. Inspiration for my story has found me again! Mostly because I was able to read a lot. Reading gets those rusty, stale writer-wheels in your brain to start turning again.
I've chosen an inspirational book about writing to get me pumped up, "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott.
I'm going to get my story going again. Wish me luck!
~S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be cool with your comments, yo!