Friday, March 25, 2016

Book Review: Sabriel

I wish I would have read this book when I was thirteen! My thirteen year old self would have *loved* this story. I would have crushed on Touchstone, laughed at Mogget and wished I was Sabriel--well, not really. I don't think I would have wanted to be an Abhorsen.
*shaking head* nope.
I didn't read this when I was thirteen (which wouldn't have been possible anyways since it was first published a year after I graduated high school), I read it a few months before my 40th birthday, which is a *fine* time to read this novel because this book transcends genre and age.
Almost immediately, my brain translated this story into a Miyazaki film, it just read like one. It was sophisticated and fanciful at the same time.
I was pleasantly surprised that this book was so creepy/violent. I wasn't expecting that. Garth Nix is an expert at world building and his magic system was top notch; detailed and explained.
If I'm honest, there were a few moments that I skimmed through a bit, I thought the scenes with the Charter Magic soldiers were boring-just dry dialog. I also had to re-read the scene where Touchstone was introduced, I was sure I understood what he was--is he a human turned into wood, was he wooden turned into human? A slow, careful read a few times and I understood finally but it wasn't entirely clear. I wonder if everyone loved Mogget as much as I did? I kept imagining him as the cat character that Phil Hartman did the voice for in Kiki's Delivery Service! Ha! This dry, apathetic snobbery. Loved him.
I love the way Nix described Abhorsen's house--strong details made me feel very cozy and long to wake up in that feather bed! I highly recommend this book.
***** Five Stars out of Five Stars*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be cool with your comments, yo!