Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Fireman Review

The FiremanThe Fireman by Joe Hill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars
I thought about 5 stars but this book isn't flawless for me. This is the second time Joe Hill wrote as a female protagonist, the first time was NOS4A2-my favorite book of his so far. He does a good job. Harper Willowes is an easy character to fall in love with and immediately invest in emotionally.
I went to Petaluma, CA to meet Hill on his second to the last stop of his book tour for the Fireman. He said he loved the idea of Harper being pregnant while also having Dragonscale. Three entities struggling to survive and have control in one body. That concept Hill had was pretty consistent for Harper throughout the whole book.
All the major players in this story are women. Even some of the bad guys, which was refreshing. Overall, I loved reading this book. Not one bit of it dragged or took an odd turn. Everything about reading this book was an enjoyable experience.
Why 4.5 stars?
Well, Joe Hill loves popular culture, just like his old man. It's cool to have some references thrown in for context once in awhile but in this book, there was a lot of it. Too much for me actually. So that's really the only flaw and if I'm honest, I wanted it to be scarier or more creepy or edgy, I don't know. I'm a brat. I'm too hard to please but I'm being honest. That's what I wanted and this book wasn't that. But other than those nitpicky things, it was brilliant. It shines.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be cool with your comments, yo!