Click the PIC for ALL AUTHOR INTERVIEWS

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Book Review: The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston

The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book for quite awhile. It gave me all these warm, cozy feelings perfect for a Fall read. It had this Little House in the Big Woods feel at first-with the protagonist of our story, Bess, moving into a cottage and gardening, getting her house all set up, etc.
I love stuff like that.
Then Bess meets Teagan, a modern day teenager and the stories of Bess' life over 300 years begin. The first story was *really* intriguing. We have a sleepy town, a family farm, the BLACK PLAGUE. We meet an interesting character named Gideon--who is a warlock. Warlocks are good! Especially handsome, scary ones!
After the exciting conclusion to that story, we move on to the next story in Bess' tale. The one where Bess is a nurse in London and the story intermingles with the story of Jack the Ripper! Serial Killers are exciting!
But then, somewhere near the end of this tale, the author lost me.
Something seemed off about the story and I couldn't put my finger on it.
The conclusion of this story was just a big disappointment. I really disliked the last story of Bess' life when she's a wartime nurse.
I started disbelieving in the story and I finally put my finger on what I didn't like about the protagonist: She never changed. She has lived hundreds of years but she sounded the same from one chapter of her life to the next. She doesn't seem wiser or different-but totally the same. It felt dishonest. I also didn't like any of the descriptions of magic. The author doesn't know how to describe magic in a realistic way. It was almost silly towards the end.
So, I'm a little disappointed because I really enjoyed it at first.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be cool with your comments, yo!