Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Book Review: Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

Fevre DreamFevre Dream by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After reading the whole Song of Ice & Fire series and LOVING it and after reading Martin's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and loving that too, I saw Fevre Dream at a Friends of the Library Sale and pounced on it!
Martin writes vampires.
NICE!
That's all I really knew about this book going into it and I want to keep it that way for everyone else.
Basically, this is Martin's expert character development and story crafting set in New Orleans/the Mississippi River-with Steamboats and slavery and that whole time period. (people who are sensitive to the 'n' word and slavery and derogatory/demeaning language should consider this a trigger warning)
We follow a few main characters, Abner March being my favorite and who reminds me a lot of George R.R. Martin, actually.
We have a slew of vampires, some that are a bit cliche and some with a pretty unique story-so Martin does introduce something new to the genre which I think makes this book worth the time spent reading it--which wouldn't take anyone much time since it's on the smaller side and it reads pretty quickly! Overall, I found this to be an entertaining, interesting story that vampire fans should enjoy. I docked it one star for the climax/ending. It felt a little ridiculous. Like when you're enjoying a thrilling movie the whole time and then it just starts downward spiraling into unbelievably? It did that a little bit for me towards the ending.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be cool with your comments, yo!