Saturday, January 14, 2017

One Year #bookstagram


A year ago today, I posted my first picture on Instagram with the hashtag, #bookstagram. I had been following a few bookish accounts and started thinking that this could be something fun to do. I made the mistake of just rolling my personal account into the new book dedicated one--it didn't dawn on me that I could have two different accounts. (Ah well)
I painstakingly removed all of my old photos (saved them to my Flickr account) and I think more than half of my friends and family deleted me after they realized I would be posting pictures of books all day, every day.
(Which still kind of bugs me, actually. Just because I'm not posting pictures of my family and my food and like a shit ton of sunset pictures or photos of my vacations, doesn't mean it's not still me. It's still ME. Whatever, I deleted all of them too. Ha!)
I decided to do a Top Ten list of my favorite things about #bookstagram right now. I love making Top Ten lists. I've made a lot over the years and I'm looking forward to this one. OKAY! Here we go:

#1. The people. My god, I have met the coolest people from all over the world in this community of book nerds and misfits. Some of you have impacted my life in very profound ways. I've learned things about myself; good things and bad things: if I'm honest. This community has forced me to be more introspective and intentional. It's a delicate thing, expressing yourself online. It's different than "real" life. Real face time. I've had to trip and fall on my face a few times so that I could navigate my way safely through this new territory. It's been a challenge and a blessing. I love it. I have met true friends here, people I would do battle with when the shit hits the fan and we find ourselves in some kind of awesome apocalypse! YEAH, Baby!

#2. The books. I never knew there were so many books out there I had to read and own. I could easily spend the rest of my life reading all the books you guys have turned me on to and still not be able to read them all! I have over 600 books on my Goodreads TBR list and I blame all of that you! You've taken my passion for reading and lit a fire!! Damn, it's HOT in here!

#3. The booktags and challenges. We have fun on bookstagram don't we? We play little games and join in on these daily photo challenges and it gives us this amazing sense of unity. But my book account will never just reflect a specific challenge (even though I created the Circle of Bookish Friends). I don't want my account to just be about that--nobody started a #bookstagram for the stupid challenges. Post what you want to post! Don't feel limited by the prompts-let's get back to us--who we are, why we do this weird shit. Rebel! Use the #circleofbookishfriends hashtag but don't let that hashtag USE you. Know what I mean, Jellybean? I think you do.

#4. The Nocturnal Reader's Box. I consider myself terribly lucky to have turned the heads of the powers that be over at the Nocturnal Reader's Box. I still pinch myself that I landed that rep position. What a fantastic company! I'm truly honored to be able to receive their product in exchange for an honest review of the service. Of course when my rep privileges run out, I'll be a customer too. I love it!!

#5. The writers. Through this community, I have met some seriously gifted writers: Professionals and Beginners. I have no idea where my passion for writing stories is going to take me in the future but I'm so glad I have met people that have already traveled pretty far down that road and are willing to show me the way when I'm ready. It's a very exciting time for me.

#6. The Buddy Reads. I've gotten to partner up with some pretty amazing individuals and share in the experience of reading a book together, even if they live on the complete opposite side of the world! That's a special thing. Seriously. We might be oceans apart--miles away, but we are connected through the words of an author in a book we each hold in our hands. Portable magic people, portable magic.

#7. BOOK MAIL. Man, I have gotten some fun stuff in the mail. Books, candy, presents, pillows, coffee mugs, LOVE, tea, stickers...!! So much LOVE! I like to give more than I receive, but lawd, is it ever fun to open the mailbox and see a goodie from one of you guys in there! Instant elation!

#8. The Laughs. You guys are hilarious, you know that, right? I love the way you make me laugh, outloud...in coffee shops or libraries or wherever else I happen to be where people turn to look at the weirdo laughing at stuff on her phone.

#9. The Constant Readers. You guys know who you are. I know who you are too. King lovers. We rule the world.

#10. The Distraction. Sometimes life is just a bit too much. It's too loud. It's annoying. It's disappointing. It's lackluster. It's boring. It's depressing. It sucks. It hurts. It's scary. Sometimes.

But bookstagram is a happy little place I can go and get away from it for awhile. So thanks for that. Thanks to all of you. I love our weird little corner of the internet where we get to squirrel away from the world and play with our nuts. Hahahahah....bet you didn't expect me to say that.

Anyhoodles!
Here's to 2017 and whole year of #bookstagram
Love you,
Sades

10 comments:

  1. Ahhh I love you Sadie and I love this post!! 💜 Bookstagram is such a wonderful place and I'm so happy to have met you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome Sadie. I am ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you more than you love me, Jo. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post Sadie! I am so lucky to have met you and to count you as a friend.You are just lovely!�� --@tarasbookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post that gave me lots of bookstagram warm fuzzies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are adorable. Thanks for such a fun post. @books_and_abe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post Sades! I'll be right there next to you when the zombie unicorn apocalypse happens!���� Love you loads!❤❤

    ReplyDelete

Be cool with your comments, yo!